Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Step One: The "Back" Story

So in my completely unqualified opinion the first step in understanding your pain is knowing your "story" or history.

When you think of a child, what image comes to your head? Care-free, playful, sassy, maybe all of the above? Good.  This is just a few of the things that should come to your head, among many others I'm sure.  For me, these words described me PERFECTLY! Seriously, if you could take all the sass in the world, and combine it into ONE child--THAT'S ME!

However on the other side of this sassy and spunky child, there was something starting that would remain a mystery for a lengthy period of time.  Now, I am not saying it was a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde kind of situation, but there were two sides of this child: one everyone can see, and the other which to this day is still often hidden.  Until now..

It all started when I was a child. I would complain of back pain which was frequently brushed off by most medical professionals as “growing pains.”  When I turned 18 and hadn’t grown in what felt like 10 years, I sought support from my doctor.  He told me that I was depressed- which absolutely explains the reason for pain…you know considering that mental illness and back pain ALWAYS happen together. I was generally a happy person without many low days--or so I thought (after many years of self-reflection, I can very clearly say I have been depressed many times throughout my life). But at the time, I felt "stable" and did not consider this to be the problem.  Yet, I was prescribed anti-depressants, which I naively took for a short period of time .  After several months of knowing depression was not the problem, my doctor told me I had Fibromyalgia.  What..The..F... Is that? you might ask, good question. I wasn't really sure myself.  My doctor said it is what is "diagnosed" when no other diagnosis makes sense.  Umm... so, you might be asking yourself-- "was there any tests done?" The answer my friends, is NO.  No, there were no tests done at this time.

So I hit up the "Google machine" to give me more information and here is what I found:

“Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals,” according to the Mayo Clinic website.

So….I guess this sounds right. I mean I am clearly not a doctor, so what do I know.  So for a few years I believed that I had fibromyalgia.  No treatment options except for some good ole’ T3’s and anti-Inflammatory medication.  But, lucky for me I can’t take T3’s and anti-inflammatory medication did virtually nothing. 
Sarcasm?…yep!
So that is step one...listen to your doctor, ask VIRTUALLY no questions, take medication that you question is a good choice, and continue to live in a "confused bubble" filled will pain and confusion.
Want to share your pain history? I would love to hear it, leave me a comment so I can share in your misery? Confusion? or whatever you want to call it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment